Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How do I deal with the Tantrums?

Autistic cildren do have temper tantrums and there are different ways to deal with it. Autistic children can get mad over the tiniest thing and when they get mad they are MAD. They can start crying, screaming, kicking, fall to the floor all because you turned off the T.V. at their favorite show or your out of popsicles. It's the little things that get them mad and there are ways to stop it. You can ignore them and not give them the attention they want, which can work either way. They could continuously go on with a tantrum or stop and realize you're not listening. But more than likely they'll keep on going because when they want something they are determined to get it. You can also bribe them which is what we used to do with my sister. We had a bin labeled "Rienforcments" full of my sister's favorite candy, SMARTIES. So when she threw a tantrum we would show her the candy and she would stop and we would give it to her. And you can bribe them with different objects not just candy, may-be their favorite toy, or video game. Pretty much whatever they like. Post us if you have questions. THANKS!

6 comments:

  1. How do you turn that determination into positive things?

    I don't like when somebody changes the channel either. That's why everyone seems to have their own TVs and nowadays plasma TVs, which some young autistic children (and others) have pulled on their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, you could give them a challenge. You could say something like I bet I can finish washing the dishes before you ccn finish your homework. And then if they feel challenged,they will probably work hard to fiish the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Challenges seem to be a good idea.

    Especially if they are interactive, like your example.

    Sometimes challenges can be frustrating, though!

    And I like your use of the word 'challenge'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But sometimes they don't understand that you're challenging them, especially some with communication issues. And it's hard to deal with the determination because it just breaks your heart when you see that person lying on the floor crying and it's hard to stay determined. That's why I recommend the bribing method and I think it works better and faster. And my siter does have her own T.V. in her room, but you know when you feel to lazy to evn walk upstairs? that happens to everyone! They get upset and want YOU to go upstairs because when someone changes the channel on me I do get mad and I refuse to go upstairs because I'm kind of lazy. But there are ways to stop it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and if you do challenge them you should probably let them win other wise it could lead to another temper tantrum.

    ReplyDelete